Essex based Makeup Artist @Kourtneymua_ has kindly answered some of our most asked questions based on her thoughts and recommendations on makeup! She is based in Loughton FRI-SAT in salon and is freelance from Mon-Thursday (including Sundays). I regularly book her to do my makeup for my shoots with Love Island star, Georgia Harrison and she’s also worked for me on lots of studio shoots where she has SLAYED the makeup too! For bookings check out her Instagram…@Kourtneymua_
- Why does pigment always transfer onto my lid?
You need a good primer before applying eyeshadow, I always use Mac Select Cover up concealer as it’s full coverage and has a little bit of a sticky base. Whenever I use pigment, I always spray my brush first with Mac Fix+ AFTER applying the pigment onto the lid and patting the brush over the top so the pigment sets in place.
2. What is the best foundation to wear for regular skin types?
- Night time/full coverage – Mac Studio Fix Fluid
- Day time/medium coverage – Loreal True Match
3. Can you recommend a good under the brow highlight?
Any highlighter that looks almost white are my go-to’s! Mac Nylon is amazing!
4. Is Banana powder best to use on darker skin? And if so, which brand is best?
I would say it’s always what works best with you whether that’s Banana powder or Translucent but I do like to use Ben Nye Banana Powder on darker skin tones.
5. Which eyeshadow looks will make my eyes look more rounded and bold?
A half cut crease eye look definitely! If you have quite hooded eyes then you can always cut above your natural crease to create the illusion of a bigger lid space!
6. What are your thoughts on lip plumping glosses? Do you think they actually work or do you think it’s a bit of a con?
I’ve used a few lip plumping glosses and they’ve stung my lips so bad they’ve swelled up so yeah I think they do work! However I don’t think it’s a long term thing which some companies promote.
7. If you could only use 5 beauty products for the rest of your life what would they be?
- 100000% My Mac strobe cream in Gold Lite, I live by this stuff!! If I don’t wear any makeup I still like to use this mixed in with a little moisturiser to make my skin have a natural dewy look.
- Bronzer! Mac Mineralise skin finish in shade Give me sun!
- Benefit 3D Browtones eyebrow mascara, I love this product because it has a tint in there so your eyebrows can look much fuller without the need for lots of product.
- Kielhs Rare earth deep pore masque!
- Charlotte Tilbury Magic cream!
8. What’s the best high coverage foundation and concealer for oily skin types?
- Foundation – Kat VON D has amazing coverage and so has Too-faced born this way foundation!
- Concealer – I love Mac prolongwear concealer or Nars Creamy concealer.
9. Best concealer for concealing under the brows?
I use Mac select cover up in shade NW15 but I always switch between a few depending on my clients skin types.
Mature skin I would opt for Maybelline Fit me or Nars creamy concealer.
10. What’s the best brightening concealer for under the eyes?
Boi-ing airbrush concealer, I buff this under my eye first to cover the dark circles then I use Nars concealer in shade Vanilla over the top to give a really bright under eye highlight.
11. What are your fave brushes?
- Sigma eye brushes are so good and such a decent price point.
- Reals Techniques or Sigma beauty blenders for the face.
- @Peachesmakeup always do good deals on makeup brushes and they’re really good quality too!
12. Which lipstick goes well with Spice liner by Mac?
Honey Love or Yash by Mac!
13. Which brush do you use to put your concealer on with? And how do you set it?
I use a beauty blender to blend in my concealer and I set it with RCMA No colour setting powder with a fluffy contour brush!
14. Do you use blusher or just bronzer?
I do use blusher, mainly Gingerly by Mac.
15. In Mac foundation and colour which should be W (warm) and which should be C (cool)?
I use mostly C’s on clients and myself which is always shades NW15/NW20. Select cover up concealer I use NW15/NC20 and for darker skin tones NC30.
Thanks to Kourtney for answering our Q&A’S! We hope you’ve learnt something from this post! Lots of love!