Here in this post, Professional makeup artist @Staceymariemua has kindly answered all of your most frequently asked questions based on all of your beauty dilemmas! Expect to read all about her tips & tricks, beauty hacks & go-to products with a few beauty secrets thrown in on top! So what are you waiting for? Go grab yourself a cuppa and have a little nose!
- Which glitter did you use for the black smokey eye you uploaded recently?
2. What are your favourite nude lip liners/lipsticks?
- Freedom Neutral lip palette – Literally has every nude you could possibly need
- Honey Love
- Velvet Teddy
- Whirl (Liner)
- Spice – Fave go-to liner
- Huda Beauty lip liners are my favourite as they’re so soft!
3. What are your thoughts on Morphe eyeshadows?
I’ve only got the 35B palette and I love it!
4. When you are blending eyeshadow, do you start with the lightest shade and work your way to the darkest? And do you blend each shade as you go along?
No, I break the rules and I work from my crease upwards and then back down again!
5. Which colours do you use in Estee Lauder double wear on your clients?
I use in order from light to dark..
(I only use shade Bronze to add warmth to the other colours if needed).
6. Is it ok to use an Illuminator if I am 40years old?
Yes, anyone can use illuminators, just in my experience older clients tend not to want anything too shiny as it can highlight wrinkles so I tend to avoid them and go for a softer strobe cream instead.
7. How do you get the skin not to look dusty and set in on fine lines for older clients? I feel if I don’t put any powder on top of the concealer then it starts to crease, then when I add powder it looks too dry?
The only time I use a fixing spray is on clients with drier skins, if they look powdery and it’s feeling a bit tight I will spritz as it will relieve the tightness and make it look dewy rather than dry.
8. Do you work on Woc?
I do sometimes but not often as it’s only if they book in, and i just don’t get the clientele!
9. Where do you get the NYC liquid eyeliner you use? Can’t seem to get it anywhere?
It’s discontinued, I stocked up on loads a few months back but when I run out I’ll be using the NYX one as I’ve heard it’s pretty much the same.
10. Which is your best and cheapest eyeshadow palette? And how do you make sure when doing eyeshadow with the tape, that both eyes are the same?
@Makeupaddictioncosmetics are literally my favourite palettes. I have them all and for the price you can’t beat it! I do each step at the same time on both eyes to make sure I get an even finish.
11. What artists did you look up to and who inspired you in the beginning of your makeup career to now?
12. What is your go-to foundation?
13. What is your favourite product to do a cut crease?
14. What brand of liner do you use? Is it liquid or gel?
I use NYC liquid liner for my liner work and I use @maybelline lasting gel liner in the corners and over the top of the liquid liner at the edges to prevent cracking.
15. Which are your top 5 eye brushes that you would recommend?
- @zoevacosmetics 227, 325
- @maccosmetics 208, 239
- @nemua_ltd pencil brush
16. What is your favourite under-eye concealer which doesn’t sit in fine lines?
I use @maccosmetics select cover up on most clients whether they have lines or not, but I never apply directly under the eyes, I apply to the cheek bones and blend upwards with a beauty blender so to apply only the amount that is needed and then set with a translucent powder.
17. Which colour eyeshadows are your favourites from @melkiorprofessional.uk?
- Wild Cherry
- Black Velvet
- Kiss me
(But they’re all gorgeous).
18. Which brush do you use for the lower lash line?
I use @nemua_ltd pencil brush and if I want it really smokey, I’ll go in with a fluffy brush!
19. Which brush do you use to apply foundation?
It’s a Clinique paddle brush!
20. What do you use to sanitise your palettes with?
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, it must be 70% and not 90% as 70% has better sanitising properties because it evaporates slower, I buy 4 litre bottles off ebay for £19, cheap as chips!
21. What’s the bright purple shade you always use on the eyes?
It’s from the Morphe 35B palette!
22. What is your favourite black eye pencil and what brush do you find best to smoke it out with?
@Zoevacosmetics Black to earth graphic eyes black liner is literally sent from heaven! I blend it out with a stiff shadow brush or a pencil brush.
23. How do you apply base with super dry skin?
Make sure you definitely spritz them with Fix+ to relieve any tightness!
24. How long did it take for you to actually finish a full face of makeup on clients in 45min total? I struggle with time management, help!
I’d probably say after 6 months of being full every weekend, it really helped me get my timings down.
25. You always use such a beautiful gold highlighter, what is it?
@__dollbeauty_ Shine Bright highlighter
26. My mascara always marks on the top of my eyes just under my brows no matter how much powder I use or even how long I let my mascara dry for, help!
You need a good waterproof mascara, either that or your lashes are too long (lucky thing!).
27. Any tips on starting lessons for clients? I’m getting fully booked on weekends but would love to get more 1-2-1 lessons booked in but finding it hard.
Firstly you need to be 100% confident in replicating any look that a client walks in through your doors with, if you think you can recreate any look to perfection then YES do lessons, it’s the way forward, but if not then either advertise that you teach your looks only or practice practice practice until you’re completely confident then go smash it!
With regards to getting booked up on weekends you’ve just got to put yourself out there and keep posting. What worked for me was offers, in the beginning you have to give away to then reap the rewards. I posted competitions and offers on makeup and lessons which helped me in so many ways. Mostly because it meant I got to practice more, loads more looks, so lots more posts and the bookings will follow.
28. What do you use for cut creases? What liner do you use? And what glitter liner do you use?
I use loose glitter on big eyes, I put my line on with an angle brush (@zoevacosmetics 327), using the @nyxcosmetics glitter primer and then pop my loose glitter over the top, for smaller/hooded eyes I use a liquid glitter liner by @Urbandecaycosmetics.
29. You mentioned the way you get your shadows so pigmented is that you don’t set your eyeshadow base, how do you manage to do this so well without the shadows skipping?
By blending lightly, and I mean, super lightly. If their skin is moving or your brush is bending then you’re pressing too hard.
30. What are your favourite back/white shadows?
31. When you do a cut crease do you put a white shadow down and then the colour on top of the lid? Your colour pigmentation is crazy and I can’t seem to get my colours to pop!
No, I only ever set my primers, concealers with whatever product I want over the top of it. So if it’s a pigment I’ll cut my crease with whatever product I’m using and i set it with the pigment. It will never pop if you set something first ESPECIALLY a translucent powder. As that’s like silk anything else will just fall off. If you want soft bridal glam then yes, set (even though I still don’t), but if you want things to pop then stop setting.
32. As an aspiring makeup artist, what would you say are the MUST HAVES for your kit?
- @Cliniqueuk Dramatically different moisturiser
- @Helenecosmetics Eyeshadow primer
- @Freedom_makeup brow pomades
- @Freedom_makeup naturals lip palette (A MUST)
- @__dollbeauty_ Shine Bright highlighter
- @Kikomilano hydra glosses
- @Zoevacosmetics Graphic Eyes pencils
33. Do you have any recommendations for clients who crease a lot in their smile lines?
@benefitcosmeticsuk do a good products called Porefessional, then I’d set my base with a light dusting of setting powder, and then just hope for the best!! There’s no miracle cure we’re just getting older unfortunately.
34. I want to know how to get the under-eye area not to crease?
You need to apply foundation all over your face and then apply concealer lightly over the top, this way it won’t be too thick, then set it with a translucent powder and this will stop it creasing.
35. Best tips to gaining a bigger following for your makeup on Insta?
- Hashtag your work
- Follow support pages @undiscovred_muas @wakeupandmakeup
- Hard graft
- Pot luck that my glam skull got noticed and was shared around
- My floating liner was also another one which got shared lots
- And the queen @nikkietutorials mentioned me in one of her youtube videos
36. When you do your halo looks, do you start from the centre going outwards or vice versa?
Vice versa, I do the edges of the waterline to the centre then back out again making sure I have no harsh lines and all the shadows are seamless so you get that 3D effect.
37. What is the best primer?
A good moisturiser will prime the skin just fine, and if you want a dewy wet look finish then spray away with setting spray, but in my experience it makes the skin oily after a few hours of wear.
38. What is the best eyeshadow primer?
@helenecosmetics eyeshadow primer is the only one I use!
39. What camera do you use to take your photos?
Iphone 7 camera
40. What is your favourite brand of eyelashes?
41. How did you learn how to do halo eye/cut crease?
Just by giving it a go and hoping for the best, just winging my way through life!
42. Which products do you use to carve out the brow?
I use Select cover up NW20 by @maccosmetics or NW25!
43. What eyebrow products do you use?
I use @freedom_makeup brow pomades in shades, Blonde, Auburn & Chocolate and just mix and match the colours to create my own.
44. Do you mix any strobe creams to your foundation or just use highlighters?
I apply Illuminator underneath my foundation, then a powder highlight and as I use a matte finish foundation I don’t use fluid highlighters over the top to prevent water marks.
45. What are your favourite coloured liners to use?
46. I would love to know what lightning you use?
I use an 18inch Newerr ringlight from Amazon for about £120.
47. How do you get your pigments to stay put and not smudge on the upper lid and onto the eyeliner?
I cut my crease higher than the natural crease (only slightly), if I’m using a pigment then I don’t bother with a concealer to cut the crease. I cut the crease with @nyxcosmetics glitter primer and then carefully place the dry pigment over the top and then I spray a flat brush with a fixing spray and press over the top of the pigment, you’ll see it turn from a powder to a creamy consistency right before your eyes!
48. What inspires you to come out with so many looks?
I’m so lucky that my lessons have taken off which gives me the freedom to play around and get creative with my clients which you can’t always do on a Saturday when you’re back to back.
49. How would you advise a career in makeup even with a full time job?
Just do it all in your spare time, that’s what I did! I worked 7 days a week when I worked at my old job, I built up a good client base on the weekends enough to eventually leave my job and do it full time.
50. How do I go about getting insured if I haven’t got any qualifications?
Don’t worry about qualifications, I’m not qualified, I’ve never been to college nor had a lesson, I’ve just taught myself and I’m doing just fine. With regards to getting insurance with no qualifications I just phoned up AVIVA and explained my situation in full and they insured me no problem!
There were hundreds of questions so I just picked out the most frequently asked ones! Thank you to Stacey for taking the time out to share with us all your secrets, you’ve definitely inspired me on a few things!